Rufford is an attractive rural parish to the north east of Nottingham on the eastern edge of Sherwood Forest and within the largely redundant North Nottinghamshire coalfield.
Rufford has a long history going back to when “Rugforde” was held by Ulf the Saxon and, after 1066, by Gilbert le Gaunt who was a nephew of William the Conquror. In 1146 the Cistercian monks founded Rufford Abbey which existed untill the Dissolution at which time the Abbey became a private house. The Rufford Estate extended to most of the area which now forms the Parish and was owned for 300 hundred years by the Savile family. The Estate consisted of several farms as well as stables and kennels and numerous others estate activities. The western part of the Parish has been dominated by forestry and gamekeeping. Over the years the Parish has remained distinctly rural and when Nottinghamshire County Council purchased the Abbey in 1938 a vast area of parkland was preserved as a country park open to the public.
- Nottingamshire County Council(Rufford Ward)
- Newark and Sherwood District COuncil(Bilsthrope Ward)
- Rufford Parish Council
- Population 484
- % of population over 60 13.0
- % of population over 16 15.6